Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Zone Cleaning?????

In all the years I've spent as a full time homemaker, I have not yet mastered the housework part. I have to admit that cleaning the bathrooms just doesn't list as one of my top priorities when I'm homeschooling 4 kids! But I do recognize that it still needs to be done, along with all the other exciting household tasks (ie: dusting, laundry, etc.) and I need to get organized & stay organized! I have been drawn to the many different cleaning/organizational gurus out there, like Flylady, but I haven't been completely sold on the idea of Zone Cleaning. Now I see the benefits of having a workable plan in place to help me get done what needs to get done. I have a teeny weeny attention span when it comes to doing things that I'm really not crazy about doing, so staying motivated to clean & organize my house can be, ummmmm...shall we say, challenging? I've decided to give Zone Cleaning a try, but with a definite Theresa Kennyish special twist: I'm going to make it into a game. Yep, that's right, I'm just a big kid, and I need to make it fun (or at least tolerable) to hold my attention. So, here's my plan. I'm going to divide up the house into zones (thus the zones for Zone Cleaning...see, I'm getting the hang of it already! LOL), but, sorry Flylady, no "dressed to the shoes" for this girl, it's barefoot all the way, baby! After all, I'm in my home, I want to be comfortable (I'm sure you can picture the whiny tone in my voice, sorry!). So, after I have my zones labeled, I'll decide which zone gets to be lucky Zone #1 (could it be the kitchen? Bathrooms?) and make a schedule. To do this I'll be using index cards, which I will place on my kitchen bulletin board to remind myself what zone I'm working in. I've decided that Zone #1 will be the master bedroom, so that will be the card I'm working off of. Now, the rule is that I'll need to work on at least one task in the "featured zone" in addition to my daily cleaning tasks (ie: cooking, laundry, etc.) and must complete the current zone before working on the next zone. Hmmmmmm....sounds complicated, which just might keep me interested. Do you ever find yourself tricking yourself into doing tasks that you just don't feel like doing? What kinds of things work for you? What kinds of things don't? Well, even if I don't end up sticking this Zone Cleaning thing out, it should make for an interesting experiment! Join me on the amazing adventure of cleaning & organizing my home...if you dare! *insert maniacal laughter HERE*

No comments:

Post a Comment